Friday, September 19, 2014

Spanking must be done in love?

Spanking...according to most Christians...in order to be done the "right way" (God's way)...must be done "in love" and never done in anger.

So, let's see. How did God strike/hit/spank Israel in the Old Testament?


Let's look at what the Bible says...


Deuteronomy 9:8 Even at Horeb you provoked the LORD to wrath, and the LORD was so angry with you that He would have destroyed you.
Deuteronomy 9:19 For I was afraid of the anger and hot displeasure with which the LORD was wrathful against you in order to destroy you, but the LORD listened to me that time also.
2 Kings 22:17 Because they have forsaken Me and have burned incense to other gods that they might provoke Me to anger with all the work of their hands, therefore My wrath burns against this place, and it shall not be quenched.”’
2 Chronicles 12:7 When the LORD saw that they humbled themselves, the word of the LORD came to Shemaiah, saying, “ They have humbled themselves so I will not destroy them, but I will grant them some measure of deliverance, and My wrath shall not be poured out on Jerusalem by means of Shishak.
2 Chronicles 34:25 Because they have forsaken Me and have burned incense to other gods, that they might provoke Me to anger with all the works of their hands; therefore My wrath will be poured out on this place and it shall not be quenched.”’
Job 42:7 It came about after the LORD had spoken these words to Job, that the LORD said to Eliphaz the Temanite, “My wrath is kindled against you and against your two friends, because you have not spoken of Me what is right as My servant Job has.
Isaiah 60:10 “Foreigners will build up your walls, And their kings will minister to you; For in My wrath I struck you, And in My favor I have had compassion on you.
Isaiah 63:3 “I have trodden the wine trough alone, And from the peoples there was no man with Me. I also trod them in My anger And trampled them in My wrath; And their lifeblood is sprinkled on My garments, And I stained all My raiment.
Isaiah 63:6 “I trod down the peoples in My anger And made them drunk in My wrath, And I poured out their lifeblood on the earth.”
Jeremiah 4:4 “Circumcise yourselves to the LORD And remove the foreskins of your heart, Men of Judah and inhabitants of Jerusalem, Or else My wrath will go forth like fire And burn with none to quench it, Because of the evil of your deeds.”
Jeremiah 7:20 Therefore thus says the Lord GOD, “Behold, My anger and My wrath will be poured out on this place, on man and on beast and on the trees of the field and on the fruit of the ground; and it will burn and not be quenched.”
Jeremiah 21:5 I Myself will war against you with an outstretched hand and a mighty arm, even in anger and wrath and great indignation.
Jeremiah 21:12 O house of David, thus says the LORD: “ Administer justice every morning; And deliver the person who has been robbed from the power of his oppressor, That My wrath may not go forth like fire And burn with none to extinguish it, Because of the evil of their deeds.
Jeremiah 25:15 For thus the LORD, the God of Israel, says to me, “Take this cup of the wine of wrath from My hand and cause all the nations to whom I send you to drink it.
Jeremiah 32:37 Behold, I will gather them out of all the lands to which I have driven them in My anger, in My wrath and in great indignation; and I will bring them back to this place and make them dwell in safety.
Jeremiah 33:5 ‘While they are coming to fight with the Chaldeans and to fill them with the corpses of men whom I have slain in My anger and in My wrath, and I have hidden My face from this city because of all their wickedness:
Jeremiah 42:18 For thus says the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel, “As My anger and wrath have been poured out on the inhabitants of Jerusalem, so My wrath will be poured out on you when you enter Egypt. And you will become a curse, an object of horror, an imprecation and a reproach; and you will see this place no more.”
Jeremiah 44:6 Therefore My wrath and My anger were poured out and burned in the cities of Judah and in the streets of Jerusalem, so they have become a ruin and a desolation as it is this day.
Ezekiel 5:13 ‘Thus My anger will be spent and I will satisfy My wrath on them, and I will be appeased; then they will know that I, the LORD, have spoken in My zeal when I have spent My wrath upon them.
Ezekiel 6:12 He who is far off will die by the plague, and he who is near will fall by the sword, and he who remains and is besieged will die by the famine. Thus will I spend My wrath on them.
Hosea 13:11 I gave you a king in My anger And took him away in My wrath.
Hebrews 3:11 AS I SWORE IN MY WRATH, ‘THEY SHALL NOT ENTER MY REST.’”

Hmmm…kinda' looks to me like God does not strike "in love". 


Maybe I'm just getting the wrong...impression...

Here's a few more verses you can look at and decide for yourself...

  1. 2 Kings 22:17
  2. 2 Chronicles 12:7
  3. 2 Chronicles 34:25
  4. Job 42:7
  5. Psalm 138:7
  6. Isaiah 48:9
  7. Isaiah 60:10
  8. Isaiah 63:3
  9. Isaiah 63:5
  10. Isaiah 63:6
  11. Jeremiah 4:4
  12. Jeremiah 7:20
  13. Jeremiah 21:5
  14. Jeremiah 21:12
  15. Jeremiah 25:15
  16. Jeremiah 32:31
  17. Jeremiah 32:37
  18. Jeremiah 33:5
  19. Jeremiah 42:18
  20. Jeremiah 44:6
  21. Ezekiel 5:13
  22. Ezekiel 6:12
  23. Ezekiel 7:8
  24. Ezekiel 7:14
  25. Ezekiel 8:18
  26. Ezekiel 9:8
  27. Ezekiel 13:13
  28. Ezekiel 13:15
  29. Ezekiel 14:19
  30. Ezekiel 20:8
  31. Ezekiel 20:13
  32. Ezekiel 20:21
  33. Ezekiel 21:17
  34. Ezekiel 21:31
  35. Ezekiel 22:20
  36. Ezekiel 22:21
  37. Ezekiel 22:22
  38. Ezekiel 22:31
  39. Ezekiel 23:25
  40. Ezekiel 24:13
  41. Ezekiel 25:14
  42. Ezekiel 25:17
  43. Ezekiel 30:15
  44. Ezekiel 36:6
  45. Ezekiel 36:18
  46. Ezekiel 38:19
  47. Hosea 5:10
  48. Hosea 11:9
  49. Hosea 13:11
  50. Zechariah 6:8
  51. Hebrews 3:11
  52. Hebrews 4:3

Looks to me like God always struck in anger...so if we're to strike our children if we are to imitate God...we should be striking in anger and not in "love."

Also...you can go to http://nasb.literalword.com and search on a variety of words yourself...and see who, what, when, where, why, and how Jesus struck people in the New Testament. If you investigate this topic you will discover that...truth is...

Graphic above from http://dulcefamily.blogspot.com




If you're an advocate of corporal punishment you should be doing these searches and asking these questions...as not much could be more important than how you treat your children...



Matthew 18:5-7

And whoever receives one such child in My name receives Me; but whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to stumble, it would be better for him to have a heavy millstone hung around his neck, and to be drowned in the depth of the sea.“Woe to the world because of its stumbling blocks! For it is inevitable that stumbling blocks come; but woe to that man through whom the stumbling block comes!

Mark 9:41-43
“Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe to stumble, it would be better for him if, with a heavy millstone hung around his neck, he [ab]had been cast into the sea. If your hand causes you to stumble, cut it off; it is better for you to enter life crippled, than, having your two hands, to go into hell, into the unquenchable fire, [where their worm does not die, and the fire is not quenched.]

Luke 17:1-3
He said to His disciples, “It is inevitable that [a]stumbling blocks come, but woe to him through whom they come! It would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck and he were thrown into the sea, than that he would cause one of these little ones to stumble. Be on your guard! If your brother sins, rebuke him; and if he repents, forgive him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may also like...